Permits & Applications

Permits, Applications, and Development Requirements

Paul Mortimer of SafeBuilt serves as Building Inspector for the Town of Cedarburg, providing residential and commercial permit and inspection services. SafeBuilt is a State Certified inspection agency, fully licensed, bonded and insured. As an experienced Building Inspection contractor, SafeBuilt will provide complete and professional service.

To better serve you, Paul will be available for face-to-face assistance at the Cedarburg Town Hall on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. He can also be reached outside those office hours on his cell phone at (414) 640-9523. All inspection requests must be made by calling (262) 420-4732. Paul can be reached via email here. All inspections must be scheduled by 4pm for next business day inspections.

Wells, POWTS, Shoreland Zoning, Floodplain

Ozaukee County addresses wells, private onsite wastewater treatment systems (POWTS), and provides a Shoreland and Floodplain Zoning ordinance. For questions on these issues, contact the Ozaukee County Land and Water Management Office at (262) 284-8313.

The County hosts a webpage for septic records available to the public.

Click here to visit the website.

Building Area, Setbacks, Height & Design Guidelines

Below are links to answers for commonly asked questions regarding building requirements for principal and accessory structures, as well as design guidelines and standards for various types of development.

Form Description Questions/ Email
Animal Guide A list of what animals are allowed in which zoning districts; some allowed by conditional use only. Contact
Principal Structures List of zoning districts & lot size, building area, setbacks, height, & conditional use requirements for principal structures on conventional lots. Contact
Accessory Buildings List of zoning districts and maximum building size and yard setbacks for accessory buildings. Contact
Two-Family Design Guidelines These guidelines provide direction when constructing two-family residential development as part of a Planned Unit Development. Contact
Design Guidelines & Standards These guidelines & standards apply to Commercial, Multi-Family, Senior Care, Institutional & Government Facilities. Contact

Plan Commission Meetings & Deadlines for Submittals

Form Description Questions/ Email
2024 Plan Commission Meetings and Deadlines This form lists the dates for Plan Commission meetings and the deadline for application and submittal of meeting materials if you would like to be on the Plan Commission agenda and have your item considered. Contact

Permits & Applications


Form/Applications Description Questions/Email
2024 Building Permit Fee Schedule This form breaks down the rates for various permits and inspection fees. Contact
2024 Annual Fee Schedule This form lists the fees as set by the Town Board on an annual basis. Contact
New Construction Building Permit Application

All Other Building Permits Application

Permit Submittal Requirements

New Home Reporting Form

Link to New Home State Online Submittal

How-to-Guide for State Online Submittal

These documents provide detail on the submission process and requirements for new homes.

Act 211 is now requiring that new home construction must be completed by verified contractors in the State of Wisconsin and reported accordingly starting January 2, 2018. Statewide, contractors share the responsibility of reporting their activities to the State via the link at left. A guide in how to do this is also at left. The guide provides step by step screen shots of the online reporting site, and creates an easy to follow guide to walk a contractor through the application process.

Berm Permit Use this form to apply for a berm permit. Contact
Bee Keeping License Application Use this form to apply for a license to keep honey bees on a residential property. Contact
Camping Permit Youth scouting groups can use this form to apply for a camping permit for Pleasant Valley Nature Park. Contact
Chicken License Application Property owners can use this form to apply for a chicken license. Contact
Concept Plan Application Applicants can use this process to gather feedback from the Plan Commission on potential projects before making formal submittals. Contact
Conditional Use Application A conditional use permit is required for a variety of uses. The primary reason for obtaining a conditional use permit is to operate a business in the Town of Cedarburg. Contact
Culvert Permit A culvert permit is required to modify a driveway within the Town right-of-way or locate a new driveway/culvert (New, Used, Temporary). Contact
Driveway Permit A driveway permit is required to install/repave a driveway and or approach. Contact
EL-121 Application for Absentee Ballot Complete this form and bring it to Town Hall to expedite the process of absentee voting. Contact
EL-131 Voter Registration Application Complete this form and submit it to Town Hall to register to vote in the Town of Cedarburg. Contact
Stormwater Management Plan

& Erosion Control Information and Applications

The Town approved an updated stormwater management plan and related ordinances at their June 7, 2023, meeting. The plan, presentation, ordinances, and related stormwater and erosion control permit applications can be found on the Stormwater Management Plan webpage.  were drafted by Strand & Associates, and reviewed by WDNR before Town Board approval. The Town was successful in obtaining a $54,000 grant to help offset 50% of the costs related to the Stormwater Plan update. Contact
Fire Protection System Permit Application Any additions or alterations to fire alarm/detection, fire suppression/sprinkler, commercial cooking hood suppression, paint booth suppression, alternative suppression, radio coverage booster system, others as identified by the Fire Department Contact
Firearm Discharge Permit
WDNR Private Forest Lands Open to Public Recreation
This permit is required to discharge a firearm on any property in the Town that is not your own. There is no fee for this permit. Also included here is a link to the WDNR web mapping application that allows the public to locate private forest lands open to public recreation since they are enrolled in a Managed Forest Law Program. Contact
Fireworks Permit Application This permit is required to possess or use fireworks in the Town. There is no fee for this permit, but a certificate of insurance for bodily injury and property damage in the amount of one million dollars must be submitted before a permit will be issued. Contact
2024 Houshold Hazardous Waste Guide A printable list of items that are accepted at the Veolia hazardous waste facility in Port Washington for disposal, price per pound for items, as well as a map to the facility. Contact
Holding Tank Agreement
Holding Tank Termination
Click here for a holding tank agreement application, service contract form, and holding tank agreement termination form. Contact
Home Occupation Permit Click here for the home occupation permit application. Contact
Major Land Division Application & Complete Checklist This packet contains the complete application and checklist for the entire major land division process (land divisions creating 5 or more parcels). Contact
Minor Land Division (CSM) Application & Checklist This packet contains the application and checklist that must be completed to undergo a minor land division (aka Certified Survey map, or CSM). Contact
Orthopaedic Hospital of Wisconsin Park/Ballfield Rental Application This application is used for the rental of the Orthopaedic Hospital of Wisconsin Fields park and/or ballfield rental. Contact
Operator License Application This application is required for those who want to serve fermented malt beverages and intoxicating liquors. Contact
Temporary Beer/Wine Picnic License Application This application is required for those who want to serve fermented malt beverages and wine at a temporary event (picnic license). Contact
Outdoor Wood-Fired Furnace Permit Application This application is first step toward installing an Outdoor Wood-Fired Furnace. (A HVAC permit is also required). Contact
Oversize / Overweight Vehicle Permit This permit is required for the operation of an oversize or overweight vehicle in the Town. These vehicles consist of those not completely on pneumatic tires or weighing more than 15,000 pounds. Contact
Park Reservation Application To reserve a park for any private use, submit this form along with the appropriate fee to Town Hall. Contact
Peddler Permit Registration Registration form required for a peddler, solicitor, or transient merchant within the Town of Cedarburg. Contact
Planned Unit Development Use this form and checklist to apply for a Planned Unit Development. Contact
Pond Permit A pond permit is required to construct a pond. A public hearing at the Town Board meeting is also required. Contact
Pool FAQs Sheet This outlines the information needed when submitting a pool or spa permit application. Contact
Refuse & Recycling Guide A printable comprehensive list of what items will be picked up as garbage, what should be taken to the Town Yard, and what should be taken to the Veolia facility in Port Washington as hazardous waste. Contact
Rezone Application Complete this form if you would like to petition to rezone a parcel of land. Contact
Text Amendment Application Complete this form if you would like to petition to amend the Town Code. Contact
Permit to Work Within the Right-of-Way Complete this form if you would like to complete work within the Town right-of-way. Contact
Sign Permit A sign permit must be obtained prior to a sign being erected in the Town of Cedarburg. Contact
Site Plan Checklist This form must be submitted along with a conditional use permit. The primary objective is ensure that new developments in the Town are functional and aesthetically pleasing. Contact
Street Use Permit Application This permit is required to close off part of a Town road for use by a private party. There is a $25 fee for this permit. The Town may also require a certificate of general comprehensive liability insurance be submitted before a permit will be issued. Contact
Town Center Overlay District Application This application is required to request Town Center Overlay District zoning, allowing a high degree of flexibility in development projects. Contact
Zoning Board of Appeals Application This application is required to request a variance for your property. Contact